Since time immemorial jewelry has been a part and parcel of both the lives of men and women. Humans loved and still love to decorate themselves with jewelry. When it comes to jewelry, you will find that it has a rich history and culture across the globe. There are some fascinating stories and facts about jewelry that still intrigue archaeologist and researchers across the world. When it comes to jewelry, they are not just pieces of ornamentation that ancestors wore- they are ancient artifacts that are priceless and deserved to be cherished for life.
Sadigh Gallery- Experts dealing with artifacts from across the world
The Sadigh Gallery is an esteemed and credible name in New York. It houses ancient artifacts, coins and jewelry from across the world. The experts here say that when it comes to jewelry there are several facts and stories that are astonishing. The following are some of the amazing jewelry facts that the experts here share-
- The oldest jewelry ever found is approximately 100,000 years old. They are Nassarius shell beads.
- In many ancient cultures of the past, jewelry is worn by both men and women to ward off evil. The most common example of this is the Egyptian Ankh.
- Engagement rings have their origins in 1477. The concept of an engagement ring was popularized by the marriage of Mary of Burgundy to Maximilan The First.
- Amber- commonly found in ancient jewelry can be 120 million years old.
- In the 20th century, wedding rings were made popular for men so that their sales could double and people buy them.
- Cro Magnon people wore necklaces and bracelets that were made from teeth, berries, bones and stones that were threaded on animal sinew or string.
- The age of copper jewelry is approximately 7000 years.
- Craved bracelets made from the tusks of elephants were found in Russia.
- The Indians have been manufacturing jewelry for 5000 years. The manufacture of jewelry can be attributed to The Indus Valley Civilization.
- Ancient China loved silver more than gold.
- Tombs in Mesopotamia dating back to 2900-2300 had huge amounts of silver, gold and stoned studded jewelry.
- Ancient Egypt was very fond of gold and their pieces date back to 3000-5000 years ago.
- China began making jewelry about the same time in India however its popularity did not reach the globe till the discovery of Buddhism 2000 years back.
- In Africa, large earrings were a status symbol for masculinity and signified power, status and prowess.
The experts here at Sadigh Gallery state that the above are just some of the amazing facts of ancient jewelry from across the globe. They have been discovered by archaeologists and sent to labs for testing their age and authenticity. The experts here say that there are many pieces of fake jewelry that are replicas of their originals. This is why before any item is placed on display, they are tested in laboratories by researchers and scientists. Each ancient artifact is supported with data and information. This makes the piece genuine and priceless for life!